Thursday, June 02, 2005

Japanese Death Metal Madness

As I found out prior to my trip to Tokyo, there seems to be a reasonably large underground metal scene there, but whereas every unsigned UK band I know gets a nice webpage done by someone in the band or an arty friend and buys a decent domain name, in the Japanese Death metal scene sites with animated gifs of skulls which look pieced together like some kind of geocities gone wrong seem to be the norm.

The good thing is they always have links to about 30 or 40 other bands in the scene, so you can spend hours marvelling at how fucking metal they are then go and check out their mates' sites. I've turned this into a kind of game where I search for mp3s as very few bands ever have them on their site; the other part of the game is that if you're lucky you can find some amazing metal terminology which I feel Western metal bands should make more use of.

Take the band Gigaton for example, I've never heard their music but I attempted to buy their Album for this reason: They don't describe their music as "Death metal" or "Thrash metal", no they're much more metal than that. Having fused Death and Thrash into the "Death Thrash Metal" genre they when on to play it faster creating "High Speed Death Thrash" which they discovered was for pussies, thus came "Ultra High Speed Death Thrash" which leads to a fucking ULTRA HIGH SPEED DEATH THRASH ATTACK!!

How fucking awesome is that? While in the West we're listening to bands who are just Thrash or just Death, in Japan they've got an Ultra High Speed Death Thrash Attack going down. Now that's the shit I want to listen to. The best thing is, they sell T-Shirts which have that written across the back, I want one!!

Gigaton's links page has like 50 links to other Japanese bands far too metal for their own good, such as the excellent Bold Fat Missile (mp3 available on their site) and Fastkill (Relentless Thrashing Devastation from Japan!). Any one of these 50 links will link to at least another 10 new bands, you can spend hours just reading their websites and being in awe of their metalness.

Next time I'm in Tokyo, I'm soooo gonna check out some of these bands and bring back many CDs... Until then \m/ (x x) \m/ rock on Japan!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home