Monday, May 23, 2005

One of the craziest things I've ever seen!

It's Sunday afternoon, I'm walking back from town with the intention of popping into KFC for some twister goodness when all of a sudden I hear a huge bang, looking the first thing I see is a big cloud of smoke, so in my shock I think Bomb! Then my common sense comes back and I see the cause of the noise was actually a car which had careered off the road, mounted the kerb and hit a bollard, completely trashing the front left wing and buckling the wheel backwards underneath the car.

So what do you do when you've just minced your nice shiny car? That's right, you drive off at speed with only 3 wheels. Sparks flying off the bare rim, clouds of burning rubber from the tyre which is being dragged along sideways through a busy street on a sunny Sunday afternoon. I half expected some kind of commentary from Sherrif John Bunnell. Having just witnessed something truly crazy, I decide that it's my civic duty to follow the car and see what unfolds, that and I'm really nosy.

At first, the trail wasn't too hard to follow; as I go along the street I see a trail of scratches in the road; a smell of burning rubber and a buzz in the air, everyone's talking about the mental 3 wheeled nightmare. Having lost sight of the car, I begin to wonder if I will catch it up, but that's when I notice a huge black skid mark turning right into a sidestreet, the trail was hot once again and the state the car was in, they couldn't have gotten far. I eventually track the car down to a busy junction where it's stopped in the outside lane with another car parked behind it.

Here we see the culprit of this 3 wheeled carnage, expecting teenagers on some kind of Joyride in a stolen car, imagine to my surprise when the driver is an oldish looking lady! She's there being harassed by two youths on bikes while her friend sits in the passenger seat covered in her own vomit. Apparently the two guys had seen her crash and followed her as she drove through red lights, eventually managing to stop her as she was turning right through a red light at a busy junction with oncoming traffic coming towards her. At that point, a couple had spotted what must have looked like a mugging by some kind of pedal cycle gang and had stepped in to help.

I hang around a bit to see what happens when the police arrive, using the mental excuse that as a witness I'm duty bound to give a statement on the events. The police do a breath test, as the driver appears to use some excuse such as "the wheel just fell off" or something, even though her front left wing is badly battered from a collision with a 3ft high metal bollard.

No wonder the youth of today have no respect when someone's Gran is likely to get tanked up at Sunday lunch and go on a 3 wheeled joyride through the centre of Edinburgh with her friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home