Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Brew Dog

Last night we took part in a Brew Dog beer tasting at the Whisky Society. I've had a few of their beers before and while I find them a bit too bitter to drink a lot off, they're very nice to have a couple of bottles of, of an evening.

Co-founder James took us through the beers and gave us a bit of history about the company. He knows his stuff and is very passionate about what they do, but I'm not sure I agree with everything he said (especially his disdane for all other UK beers).

Overall, we got to taste 7 beers, 5 of which I hadn't had before. First up was Punk IPA which I was pretty familiar with. Beer No. 2 was 5 a.m Saint which I hadn't had before and really enjoyed, will be looking out for that one in the shops. Next up was Hardcore IPA which was very nice as well, at 9.2% it's pretty strong but it doesn't taste as strong as it is.

After some dinner we got to try two Paradox's, Imperial Stout aged in an Arran whisky cask and an Islay Smokehead cask. I'd had the Arran Paradox before, but not the Smokehead one. When I'd first tried the Arran one, I found it a bit much, at 10% it's pretty strong, but last night I really enjoyed them both, maybe you need to build up to a beer like that.

Next up was the controversial Tokyo, at 18% it's a beast, but it's also very nice. Our table of 8 had 2 bottles to share between us and we were served it in whisky snifters. It's definitely one I fancy getting another bottle of, especially since Rosie enjoyed it too, so we can share a bottle.

Last up was the ice-distilled Tactical Nuclear Penguin. At 32% it's more like a spirit than a beer. We each got served a shot, again in a whisky glass and I have to say I wasn't convinced. It was no match for a nice whisky, but too much like a spirit to work as a beer. I can only imagine what the even stronger ones are like.

Overall, an enjoyable night, some nice beers and some interesting chat.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home